Friday, February 10, 2012

Birthday Beret

IMAG0197IMAG0196Blocking on a Fiestaware plate (cobalt) we have:
Pattern: Arabesque, from Interweave Accessories 2011
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash Handpaints, it only took one skein and I had, oh about ONE yarn left to weave in. I bought 2 @ $15.75 each (less 10% discount as part of the yarn crawl) and will use the second skein for matching mitts, as per request of the recipient.  The pattern called for 2 sks of a worsted weight yarn at 200 yards per skein.  YMMV.
Needles: US 5 and 7

Here's the other side.  Finished size: um, that's a 10" plate and the hat is bigger.  Story: I was shopping with the recipient who wanted to buy this slouchy cabled red hat.  When I saw it I muttered, "I can make that." So of course she rolled her eyes (teens) and put it back.  Later I bought the yarn, which she approved of.  She then told her sister, "Hey, mom's making me a hat for my birthday."  Hmmm,...ok, now I have a deadline.
IMAG0192Knitting went well, the chart was easy enough to follow, hats are generally quick and this project was portable.  I knit it while chatting with friends at Panera, while watching TV, or just quietly as I settled down for the evening.  Cable crossing method: without a cable needle.  I'm lazy and I hate carrying around those things, plus there's a place where you need 2 to make the cross! 
Started: Feb 4, 2011
Finished: Today
Birthday: 2/12/12 (hey!)
So is she happy? 
Is it slouchy enough? 

She think's so.  Happy 14th Lindsey.

And Happy Fiber Arts Friday and FO Friday, join the party and leave a comment!

No tags this time, the yarn is too new to count for 12in2012 and it's not pink!


Vivian said...

The hat looks great, and Lindsey has such nice hair!

Melissa Plank said...

Wow, love it and it's a great success when you can please teenage fashion sensibilities!

WonderWhyGal said...

I love that beret and I agree with Melissa, when you can make something a teenager will like, it's golden. I haven't had good luck blocking hats like that. Maybe it's the fiber I use but I end up stretching them way too much.

storiedyarns said...

That hat is adorable!!!

Jess Schleicher said...

It's really beautiful. Making a teenager happy really is something to cherish. Great job!

Heather Woollove said...

Super project! I love the way it fits her...and it's true...teens are often the harshest critics!! :)

AllyB said...

Love it! Great colors and it looks super cute on the pretty model.

Jamie Wang said...

It looks terrific (I'm glad Lindsey agreed with my assessment -- I remember all too well how particular teenage girls can be).

Congratulations on meeting your deadline.