Friday, January 13, 2012

Oh Joyette!





Every year I attend a winter retreat for knitters up in the Santa Cruz mountains.  I bring a select few of my WiPs and knit and eat and knit with a great bunch of women.  I had knitted this shawlette with Handwerks Silky Sock doubled up to the crochet border and stopped.  At the retreat I cornered a friend who's really nifty with a hook to seek some guidance.  I haven't done much crochet but I really liked the combination of knitting and crochet in this project.  I was stuck, not because I didn't know how to do the edging, I just didn't know how to start.  That's the beauty of friends when knitting or crocheting, all you really need is someone to look over your shoulder and say, "Yeah, that's it, you got it."  I got that in spades at this retreat.  Lots of encouragement and admiration and by the end of the retreat I had only the last row of picots to go.

As part of the retreat weekend we also had a yarn crawl.  We visited many Bay Area yarn shops both on and off the crawl starting the Wednesday prior and ended it on Sunday. At our last stop, Bobbins Nest, who is closing their brick and mortar store, not only did I get some fabulous hand painted yarn, I got something to remember the store by, a huge pink goblet.





Here it is in all it's glory (and my yarn purchases topped with fiber winnings from the gift exchange). Cheers! Happy Fiber Arts Friday and FO Friday, join the party and leave a comment!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Joyette is right...it is beautiful.

Vivian said...

That's is one huge goblet! You are really making progress on those projects.

Melissa Plank said...

WOW, what a fabulous haul!!! Your shawl is so pretty, I love the colorway you used.

Carol said...

Sounds like another great Retreat Weekend. Your shawlette is lovely.

WonderWhyGal said...

That shawl is gorgeous! I agree, there is nothing like having encouragement right at your side when working on a project. I don't know if I could work on something so detailed whiled visiting though. Good for you. LOVE all the purchases and prizes.