Sunday, April 29, 2012

3KCBWDAY7: Crafting Balance

When I think about crafting balance it's not generally between knitting and crochet.  It's between knitting, spinning, weaving, sewing, bobbin lace, cranking on my sock machine(s), inkle weaving, quilting, hand embroidery, flatbed machine knitting, and crochet.  But probably less crochet than all the others.  I know how to crochet and I like crochet borders, edgings and accents, but that's probably it and I'll do it when I need to.

I spend most of my crafting time knitting.  The most projects on the go that I have are knitting, following that it's probably a tie between weaving (1 inkle, 1 4-harness, 1 8-harness),  and bobbin lace (3 projects on pillows). The rest of the UFO's are quilting (1) and embroidery (1).  As for sewing and machine knitting (both flatbed and sock), those projects generally get done when started (or just not at all).

I love crafting -- and I love discovering new things!  I don't know what's next, probably just more of the same.  Making things with my hands actually is a balance with my other life as a computer programmer.  Having just come off a 6 month break (read: just got a job after being laid off), I found that I really missed coding and the opportunities is brought (read: $$$).  I actually considered other more freelance opportunities to write code before finally landing a job, I still am, but I'll save that for later when I'm ready to "retire".

For now I'll just indulge in all the crafting I want to do while enjoying my career that supports it.  It's tough sometimes, as I don't get as much time to do all the crafting I want but I'm trying to keep things in balance and I'm using my Manic Monday blog post to help with that.

It's the last day of the 3rd Annual Knitting Crochet Blog Week.  I actually blogged all 7 days.  I hope you've enjoyed my posts as much as I enjoyed writing them.

No comments: