Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Yarn (and Cookie) Crawl

PicsArt_1380752317606Maybe it's because a yarn store in Capitola was kitty corner to Gayle's bakery for so long (2 actually, different shops, same location) that I have no problem associating yarn with special treats.  I mean yarn is a special treat right?  But the SLO Yarn Crawl had sweet treats at nearly every corner.  The crawl was officially Sept 21-22, Saturday and Sunday, 5 shops in San Luis Obispo county.  I didn't go down until early Saturday morning, buy my Aunt and her friend went to a special talk by Alchemy's Gina Wilde at the new location (new owners too) of Cambria's Ball and Skein Friday evening.  On their way they hit up Red Moose Cookie -- this is a hidden gem that I've yet to try and find, but you should hunt it down, judging from the packages they took home.

I arrived late Saturday morning and was wisked away to Pismo Beach to have our passports stamped at Eileen's Treasures.  I came away with a skein of blue handpainted sock yarn, its twin purchased by my Aunt.  At the next stop, Nordic Yarn Mart I picked up some woody rose colored long striping yarn.  Yarns at the Adobe is also in San Luis Obispo where I snagged a sk of pink sport wt, plus a copy of IW's Unofficial Downton Abbey Knits, but don't leave SLO without going down the street and around the corner to Cowboy Cookie where not only can you get the second best chocolate chip peanut butter cookie (Gayle's has the best), you can also get an ice cream cookie sandwich!  The cookies are large here, so remember, they do offer a 1 cookie sandwich where they cut a single cookie in half.  Three shops down and we had to get back to Cambria.

I love the new location and layout of Ball and Skein.  They had a great selection and I won a door prize!  I bought a Gina Wilde book and had her sign it plus one I brought and I got 2 skeins of the new Rowan Fine Art -- in a tawny colorway.  I also got IW's Unofficial Harry Potter Knits.  Now I've already mentioned Red Moose, but if you miss that, then head towards Cayucos to The Brown Butter Cookie company where the second you enter you are assailed with the aroma of butter and invited to taste every cookie they bake. I think the original brown butter cookie is my fav, but the espresso bean one is a close second, there's also cocoa, citrus, coconut lime and a mint cocoa gluten-free cookie.

UntitledWe saved Ranch Dog Knitting for Sunday so that I can just head back north from there.  This is one of the newer shops in the area located in Atascadero.  There I met Audry Knight who wrote Reversible Scarves and since I forgot my hardcopy had her sign my e-copy right on my tablet!  While there I purchased a lovely tweed wine/grape variegated skein and a mosaic(2-color) cowl pattern (I found some pink superwash in my stash that will combine nicely with it). 

I stayed at the best bed and breakfast in Morro Bay -- cost?  My skein of blue yarn.

No comments: